On Saturday, May 20th the first edition of the ETH Chess Championship took place in the Alumni Pavillon, with the titles of ETH Chess King and ETH Chess Queen at stake.
This has been an exciting event with 73 participants. The competition was tough with no less than 5 titled players! Before the break, only two players had scored full points: Mateo and Kirill. They faced each other in a high-stakes game as the winner would take a serious option on the tournament’s victory. After a well-fought battle, Mateo had to resign making Kirill the sole leader. He then safely secured two draws in rounds 7 and 8 against the two favorites of the tournament and went on to win the last game to claim the title of ETH Chess King! Mateo and Noah complete the podium. Congratulation to all three of them!
Numerous prizes have been awarded beyond the podium. Special mention to Anna, who becomes the ETH Chess Queen as the first woman on the final ranking.
- ETH Chess King: Kirill Zaitsev
- ETH Chess Queen: Anna Adzic
- Silver Medalist: Mateo Rodriguez Polo
- Bronze Medalist: Noah Fecker
- Best Bachelor Student: Theo Stijve
- Best Master Student: Markus Fasching
- Best PhD Student: Nagaarjhuna Arumuga Kani
- Best UZH Student: Amir Alizade
- Best Performance: Raphael Larisch
- Best U1400: Giovanni Ottobonni
- Best U1700: Josef Zoller
- Best U2000: Serafin Jacob
- Lucky winners: Giacomo Colombo, Paul Linder
This tournament has been an incredible experience and we wish to again thank all the participants. We also wish to thank our partners: the VSETH, the Rektorat, and chess.com, for helping us bring this event to life.
The echoes of this year’s Championship have barely subsided, but our sights are already set on the horizon. We are looking forward to seeing you all next year and until then have fun!
Below you can find the full ranking and other pictures taken during the event. Credits for the pictures go to Danilo Đorđević!